Chiropractic treatment is suitable for all ages, from birth onwards. We have seen an increase in younger patients here at the clinic, mostly from Cosham but also including Portsmouth, Fareham, Southsea, Havant, Clanfield and even further afield.
Have your children been complaining of back pain recently? What could be causing children to be experiencing this?
In their 2015 survey, BackCare contacted 900 secondary school pupils.
‘School Bag Burden’ was found to be very common, and strongly linked to back pain. Half of those surveyed said their school bag often or always felt too heavy or tiring for them.
Fortunately there are steps that can be taken to avoid or minimise back pain. See below for our top five tips to minimise back pain in children:
- Aim to keep children active, and minimise prolonged sitting.
- Choose a rucksack! Children should carry it over both shoulders, to distribute the weight of the load.
- Remember to adjust the straps – the bag should be held close to the back.
- School shoes: choose strong, supportive footwear, and have the fitting checked in a specialist shop where possible. Aim for softer soles on shoes – but not so soft that the shoe can be bent in half.
- Seek advice and treatment from one of our chiropractors. As well as physical manipulation, our full evidence-based ‘package’ of care includes advice about exercise, lifestyle, and activity specific to each child.
Remember – it’s best not to ignore any pain you or your children are experiencing, as this is our body’s warning sign that something might not be quite right. Chiropractic treatment is suitable for pain or discomfort in the following areas:
- Back, Neck and Shoulder problems
- Joint, Posture and Muscle problems
- Leg pain
- Headaches / prevention of migraines
- Neck Pain
You can also meet our team and find out more about our specialisms, and read about our principle chiropractor Peter Coote and his own experiences with chiropractic.